GRANTS & AWARDS
Perio Link Award
How to apply
The Sunstar Perio Link Award is a relatively new initiative, with its first edition taking place in 2018. The theme of this award is raising awareness about the link between oral health and general health and it aims to bring together the scientists making a significant impact in their field for the public.
How does it work?
All researchers and clinicians that published a research paper on the link between oral health and general health between 2018 and 2020 can participate. To do so, send us a 1-minute video in English, in which you explain the outline of your paper and its findings. Please upload your video to a file sharing service such as WeTransfer and then send us a link to the video using the Perio Link Award submission form. Your video should at least include the following aspects:
- Your project's objectives
- A brief outline of the most important findings
- The relevance of these findings for the oral and general health fields
Try to avoid talking about p-values, complex statistical analysis or detailed laboratory experiments. Instead, focus on the relevance of your study and its impact for patients and professionals in simple wordings. You only have one minute, make it count!
Following the submission deadline, all eligible videos will be open to the general public. The videos will not be judged by a jury; anyone can vote online for their favorite one on our Foundation’s website! The video with the most votes will be the winner.
Videos must be shared before February 15, 2021.
Besides uploading the video, participants must clearly declare the sources of funding in their email, be it from academic/research institutes, a commercial organization or any other third party. Submissions that received funding from commercial organizations are subject to screening for conflict of interest with the vision/mission of the Sunstar Foundation.
The first-place recipient of the Sunstar Perio Link Award will receive:
- One round trip airfare, hotel accommodation and congress registration for the EuroPerio10 congress, taking place on 2-5 June 2021 in Copenhagen, Denmark
- A monetary recognition of 1,000 EUR
- Award Ceremony in June 2021 in Copenhagen, Denmark (date TBC)
- Featured press on Sunstar and Sunstar Foundation websites, social media channels and press releases
Good luck, and we are looking forward to receiving your submissions!
Recording a video with your phone
Here are some tips and tricks that can really make your video stand out:
- When you film yourself, instead of holding your phone vertically (in portrait mode), try to hold it horizontally (in landscape mode). In this way, you use your whole screen.
- Keep your camera steady while filming. You can use a camera or phone stand, but if you don’t have one, holding your phone against the wall in front of you works as well!
- Don’t stand in front of a window or a bright lamp. The light will drown you out. Instead, turn around to make use of that light! Also, don’t use the flashlight on your phone.
- Film yourself in a quiet place. Background noise will distract the viewer and decrease the impact of your story.
- Make sure your video is in focus, usually by tapping on your own image on screen. Don’t use the zoom function, as it generally decreases the quality of your recording.
- Align the camera in height with your face, or even slightly above it. Filming from below usually doesn’t make the video (and yourself) look attractive.
- Try to look into the lens, not to yourself on screen. In that way, it seems as if you’re looking the viewer into the eyes.